We are enjoying our busiest year ever with many bookings now being taken into 2016 as well. Having a live wedding band is becoming more and more popular, not to mention all of our corporate and private party bookings. For this blog we wanted to share with you some of the work that goes into our job. Our live performance at your function is the bit we love, but it is just the tip of the iceberg. Here are some things you may not know about what goes on behind the scenes of a professional function band.
• We receive around 10 – 12 enquiries each day. We have a 24 hour turnaround time for quotes so each of these need to be responded to as soon as possible and any queries answered.
• Each booking we receive is entered onto our calendar, a contract prepared and questionnaire sent out to the client. We use this questionnaire to tailor the set and style of the performance. What time we should arrive, what we should wear, first dance, details of the venue etc.
• We offer a free DJ service – this needs to be set up and tracks kept up to date on our Ipad.
• We have to make sure that our PI Insurance is up to date and that all our equipment is PAT tested.
• Our website is kept up to date with our latest repertoire, testimonials, blog and media.
• Speaking of media, we spend a lot of time recording demos, recording professional videos for the website and doing photo shoots.
• We are a North West based function band but we cover the whole country, so for each gig we could spend up to 12 hours travelling, not to mention the hours setting up, sound checking and packing down.
• We pride ourselves on our up to date and varied repertoire so we regularly spend time and Slinky HQ rehearsing new tracks. With the introduction of our loop pedal, which allows us to play tracks we couldn’t before, we can now take on so many more tracks.
• We need to be prepared for anything – for this reason each of us has at least one deputy. All of these have to be auditioned and kept up to date with the repertoire.
Yes it can be hard work, but the payoff for us is seeing a room full of people dancing, singing along and having a great time – that’s what makes it all worthwhile!